CALL FOR PAPERS: IFTR Queer Futures Working Group, Galway 2021
27 October, 2020 by Joseph Parslow | 0 comments
CALL FOR PAPERS: Queer Futures Working Group, IFTR Theatre Ecologies: Environments, Sustainability, and Politics IFTR 2021, Galway, 12-16 July 2021 Queer Performance Ecologies
Queer Performance Ecologies
The group welcomes papers, performative presentations and provocations that take a queer approach to the conference theme, ‘Theatre Ecologies: Environments, Sustainability, and Politics’.
Please note: if you submitted and were accepted for IFTR2020 as part of the Queer Futures Working Group, then you are guaranteed acceptance for this year. However, please also resubmit via the appropriate channels below.
We warmly welcome new members, including those who wish to take part in the group’s discussion, but who do not want to submit a paper. If you have any questions or want to talk through your abstract prior to submission, please email one of the Convenors: Ankush Gupta (firstname.lastname@example.org), Fatima A Maan (email@example.com), and Joe Parslow (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Potential topics and questions could include could include, but are not limited to:
- How does queerness collate with the environment and climate crises?
- How are certain performance forms and practices more sustainable given the threat that queer individuals face in some/certain ecologies?
- How might ideas or understandings of ecologies help to find links across disparate performance forms and practices?
- How are certain ecologies more receptive of and work to protect queer performances?
- How do queer performers create their own safe ecologies to do the work they wish to do? How do these ecologies function and maintain anonymity in larger state-driven ecologies?
- What is the relationship between queerness and sustainability? How can/does this emerge in performance?
- Drawing connections between queer performance forms
- Finding affinities across borders
- Queer performances and supportive ecologies
- Queer performance and transnationalism
- Queerness and anti-racism
- Queerness and the environment
- Queerness and protest
- Alternative ecologies and queer performance
- Queerness and technologies/networks
- Labour surrounding the production of queer performance work
In addition to submissions that consider aspects of the conference theme, we also invite contributions that touch on any aspects of the Group’s general remit surrounding queer performance and queer theories. We currently are engaged with ideas of queer dramaturgy, affect, temporality, representation, community, transnationality, performance research, and more. We are particularly interested in hearing from local performers who are currently producing queer work or engaging with queer performance.
Papers/Performance-Presentations/Provocations are usually 15 - 20 minutes long and followed by discussion. The conveners will circulate more information on the format once submissions have been accepted, and are happy to receive suggestions for full panels or alternative panel and presentation formats.
The deadline for the submission of abstracts is 31 January 2021. To contribute a paper, please submit a 250-300 word abstract and other details through the Cambridge Journals Online website https://www.cambridge.org/core/membership/iftr.
Please also forward a copy of your submission to the Queer Futures’ Conveners, Ankush Gupta (email@example.com), Fatima A Maan (firstname.lastname@example.org), and Joe Parslow (email@example.com)
No comments yet for this article.