New Book Announcement: Contemporary Chinese Queer Performance
19 August, 2022 by Hongwei Bao | 0 comments
This book documents various forms of queer performance – including music, film, theatre, and political activism – in the first two decades of the twenty first century.
I am delighted to announce the publication of my new book Contemporary Chinese Queer Performance.
Thank you and all the best,
Hongwei Bao (2022) Contemporary Chinese Queer Performance. London: Routledge.
ISBN 9780367500245 (hardback, GBP £120); ISBN 9781003048541 (ebook, GBP £33.29); 170 Pages 27 B/W Illustrations.
About the book:
In this ground-breaking study, Hongwei Bao analyses queer theatre and performance in contemporary China.
This book documents various forms of queer performance – including music, film, theatre, and political activism – in the first two decades of the twenty first century. In doing so, Bao argues for the importance of performance for queer identity and community formation. This trailblazing work uses queer performance as an analytical lens to challenge heteronormative modes of social relations and hegemonic narratives of historiography.
It will be of great interest to students and scholars of theatre and performance studies, gender and sexuality studies and Asian studies.
Table of Contents:
Part I. Performing queer memory
- A queer way of life: Ren Hang’s photography
- Post socialist structures of feeling: Coming out in global queer cinema
Part II. Mediating queer activism
- ‘Gently change the world with singing’: Beijing Queer Chorus and queer audibility
- Performing queer at the theatre–documentary convergence: Fan Popo’s screen activism
Part III. Enacting intercultural communication
- Theatre of Cruelty: Performing queer desire in East Palace, West Palace
- About My Parents and Their Child: Intergenerational communication in transcultural documentary theatre
- Sharing food, vulnerability, and intimacy: The digital performance of the queer diaspora in a global pandemic